Carnival 2010

The journey home 2010

E-mail Print PDF

Due to a mix up over times, the road crew arrived at Weston in drips and drabs. Most had had a very late night the night before and were hungry for breakfast. It had been a cold start to the day but as we moved off from Weston the sun was out and it was a beautiful day.

The journey back went really well until we got to Bridgwater, Gary and Tim  broke off with the generator trailer as we went through Bridgwater to unload the generator and they'd join us later. As we came up to the roundabout at the Clink, Steve suddenly came over the radio saying he'd lost drive, after a couple of minutes playing around he finally found 1st gear and managed to crawl off.  

Once we got through Bridgwater, Matt, AJ and I took the cart on to the shed and Budgie and Steve crawled behind us in 1st gear.

Cart back in it's shed

We got back to the shed quickly to find Phil was already there and had already opened the cart shed doors. Normally the Cart ggoes in the shed quite easily, but oday it just didn't want to go in. The shed is very narrow and the 60' cart must be reversed down a slope into the shed with just 3" clearance on both sides. After many attempts Budgie called to say they were waiting outside the village in a lay-by so Matt and AJ left to tow Steve in the decorated tractor. 

Once they were back at the shed we tried again to get the cart into the shed. During this attempt Steve, nicknamed 'Skippy' managed to skip over some steel and fell to the ground twisting his ankle  leaving him in some pain. Obviously we gave him all the support good friends should and once we'd stopped laughing we call for an ambulance.

Ambulance for Steve

Tim and Gary arrived back with the genni trailer closely followed by Biff the paramedics. By this time Steve's pain had eased off and after a quick check over he was able to stand a little. Once we'd got Steve off the floor, we were able to get the decorated tractor and genni trailer into the shed and close the doors.

Suddenly there was a shout from the front of the shed and we ran out to find Tim with the rea doors of his van opened and big tub of paint spilling out all over the floor! There was a sudden rush for as many bucket of water as we could find to flush out the back of his van. Fortunately the van was white, the same colour as the paint.

Once we'd cleared up the mess we could finally slide the doors shut and lock them up. Another year in carnival was open, now to get home and finish all those DIY jobs! 

Last Updated on Tuesday, 16 November 2010 19:51

Weston-Super-Mare 2010

E-mail Print PDF

I didn't make it to Weston this year but from what I hear the guys had a great time. Matt sent me a text about 9pm and they were still in the car park waiting to move off.

The procession went really well and the route took them past the new peir and over the newly laid  paving slabs, I hope they survived.

The weather was good to us and the crowd were really supportive with many applauding as we passed by. 

We finished 7th in the 'Feature - Open' class. 

Last Updated on Thursday, 25 November 2010 07:38

Glastonbury 2010

E-mail Print PDF

My plan was to watch the cart go round at Glastonbury, but after just a few carts we had to leave as my wife was suffering from a sickness bug that was going round the village school. The same bug had also taken out Spraggsy who called in a few hours earlier to say he couldn't make it.

After dropping my wife at home I made my way back to the start, just in time to see our cart heading past the start, it did look good :-) While the cart went round I sat and had a cup of tea with some friends from Gremlins CC.

Thanks to 'carnival9' for this YouTube video:

JavaScript is disabled!
To display this content, you need a JavaScript capable browser.

Towards the end of the Procession the rain really started to hammer down and some of the performers arriving back at the start looked very miserable and cold. Once everybody was off are cart we split down the cart and waited, and waited, for the roads to open so we could move on to Weston. 

After more waiting and some tea and chips (thank-you Pete)  we were finally able to leave, at about midnight. There were some reports of an accident on the A39, but the marshals knew nothing about it so we pressed on. Sadly just the otherside of Ashcott we came across a Land Rover on its side blocking one carriage way, apparently the driver escaped with only minor cuts and bruises. It was a tight squeeze with over hanging trees, but we got through without loosing a single bulb.

We finally pulled into Weston at just after 3am, it had been a long day and we were all keen to get home...

On the way home we passed Gremlins and Griffins, who both had tractor trouble, I wonder what time they got home? 

We finished 7th in the 'Feature - Open' class, just 3 points Griffins! 

Last Updated on Monday, 15 November 2010 11:29

Wells 2010

E-mail Print PDF

When I arrived at the cart tonight it was in total darkness and the cast were milling around the cart but the ground crew were nowhere to be seen, it turned out they were getting chips and tea!

During the day the road-crew had finally managed to repair the puncture on the front of the genni, so we were now back to full strength. Sadly the last set of crystals were still not turning and they may not turn for the rest of this season. 

JavaScript is disabled!
To display this content, you need a JavaScript capable browser.
Wells was another carnival that seemed to take ages to get going and no sooner than we were a few hundred past the start than the mashals started to move us over and a fire engine came through. Vagabonds had caught fire just up in front. The fire was soon out but the procession was held up for at least half an hour and many of the spectators left.

The rest of the journey round was pretty much event-free. Matt was our driver tonight, he safely negotiated the corner at the end of Chamberlain street (a notoriously tight corner) and we were soon heading down the high-street. It was good to see so much local support near the finish. We had to get the cast off in the rain again and it was getting cold.

 We took the cart through to Glastonbury all-in-one and were soon lined up in Div 3 ready for Saturday's carnival. 

Last Updated on Monday, 15 November 2010 08:28

Shepton Mallet 2010

E-mail Print PDF

At last, a rain-free carnival.  The road crew had started the day by taking the decorated tractor to Pilton, hitching up the cart and genni and dragging it all to the back of the line-up at Shepton Mallet.  They then spent almost all afternoon replacing blown bulbs after the rain at Burnham.  By the time the rest of us arrived at 6.00pm the whole cart was lit up.  A small problem with the chain on one of our sets of crystals meant they wouldn't run tonight, but everything else is working.

Dragons on front of genni trailerThe procession started at 7.30pm, but we didn't cross the start line until after 9.30pm. The crowd were again very appreciative with plenty of applause and encouragement coming our way.  The procession went well with no incident, apart from the cart and genni having a small kiss as we negotiated a particularly tight turn.

Once we crossed the finish line we were on the final drag up the hill to the Foss round-about when the cart in front stopped to let their road crew get on.  Although they stopped on a flat stretch of road it meant we had to stop on possibly the steepest part of the hill, but some great driving from Steve meant we pulled away nice and easily.

We had a good drive into Wells too, almost without incident and we parked up in Division Two in a nicely sheltered spot under the bridge, and judging by tonight's forecast we couldn't be in a better place.

Last Updated on Sunday, 14 November 2010 10:35
  • «
  •  Start 
  •  Prev 
  •  1 
  •  2 
  •  3 
  •  Next 
  •  End 
  • »

Page 1 of 3


Random Image

  • Cart Build 2009_9
  • Drunken Sailor 2017 Cart Build
  • Description: Leaving the Shed
  • Mayday_4
  • Drunken Sailor 2017 Cart Build
  • Description: Leaving the Shed